The Story of HMCS DAERWOOD
Built at Vancouver Shipyards Ltd., Vancouver, BC, and commissioned on 22 April 1944. DAERWOOD served as a coastal patrol vessel on Canada’s West Coast until 1947 when she was sold off to commercial interests.
DAERWOOD was Selkirk, Manitoba’s contribution to the RCN. Selkirk could not use it’s name because of a conflict with a similiarly named ship in the RN. The name Daerwood is the family name of Lord Selkirk, in which the city of Selkirk, MB is named.