Where the History of Canada's Navy Comes Alive!   
HMCS DAUPHIN

HMCS DAUPHIN
HMCS DAUPHIN, 1941 - Flower Class Corvette

The Story of HMCS DAUPHIN

Commissioned at Montreal on May 17, 1941, Dauphin arrived at Halifax on May 24. She joined Sydney Force late in June and in September transferred to Newfoundland Command. She left Sydney on September 5 to join her maiden convoy, SC.43, continuing on to the U.K. for further workups at Tobermory and returning to mid-ocean service in mid-October. Dauphin was almost continuously employed as an ocean escort until August, 1944, after December, 1942 as a member of EG A-3, (redesignated C-5 in June, 1943). She escorted three particularly strenuous convoys: SC.100 (September, 1942), ON.166 (February, 1943), and SC.121 (March, 1943). In the course of a major refit at Pictou from April to September, 1943, her focsle was lengthened. Dauphin left Londonderry for the last time on August 11, 1944, underwent refit at Liverpool, N.S., then proceeded to Bermuda to work up. Returning in January, 1945, she was assigned to EC W-7, Western Escort Force, for the balance of the war. She was paid off at Sorel on June 20, 1945, and sold for conversion to a merchant ship, entering service in 1949 as the Honduran Cortes. She became the Ecuadorean San Antonio in 1955, and apparently still exists.


The unofficial ship's badge of HMCS DAUPHIN.

©1996-2004 - The Naval Museum of Manitoba - 1 Navy Way - Winnipeg Manitoba - R3C 4J7