Where the History of Canada's Navy Comes Alive!   

HMCS FORT FRANCES

HMCS FORT FRANCES
HMCS FORT FRANCES, March 28th, 1945 - Algerine Class Minesweeper

The Story of HMCS FORT FRANCES

Commissioned at Port Arthur on October 28, 1944, she arrived at Halifax on November 26, and sailed for Bermuda in January, 1945 to work up. Returning to Halifax, Fort Frances served briefly with escort groups W-8 and W-9 of Western Escort Force before being paid off into maintenance reserve on August 3, 1945. She was again in commission from October 23, 1945 to April 5, 1946, and in 1948 was handed over to the Department of Mines and Technical Surveys as a hydrographic survey ship. In 1958 she reverted to naval service as a civilian-manned oceanographic research vessel. She was sold for breaking-up in 1974.

©1996-2004 - The Naval Museum of Manitoba - 1 Navy Way - Winnipeg Manitoba - R3C 4J7