HMCS TRANSCONA - Bangor
of HMCS TRANSCONA
Built at Sorel
and commissioned there on November 25, 1942,
Transcona was the last Bangor class minesweeper
to join the RCN. She arrived at Halifax on December
19, 1942, having escorted HMCS Provider enroute,
and remained in shipyard hands there from December
22 to March 6, 1943, owing to engine defects.
Following workups at Halifax, she was assigned
in April, 1943, to WLEF and, in June, to newly
created EG W-2. In May, 1944, she joined Halifax
Force, remaining until June, 1945, after which
she performed various local tasks until she
was paid off at Sydney on July 31, 1945. During
this period she was under refit and repair at
Lunenburg from February to May, 1945. On September
1st, Transcona was transferred to the marine
section of the RCMP and renamed "French".
She was finally paid off and sold for scrap
at La Have, N.S., in 1961.