The Story of HMCS THE PAS
Commissioned at Montreal on October 21, 1941, The Pas arrived at Halifax on November 4. She joined Halifax Force as a local escort, but in March, 1942, was reassigned to WLEF, then forming. In June she was transferred to Halifax Tanker Escort Force, and during the next three months made three round trips between Halifax and Trinidad-Aruba. In September she came under U.S. control as escort to New York- Guantanamo convoys but arrived at Liverpool, N.S., on November 27, for two months’ refit. Following workups locally, she rejoined WLEF and, on its division into escort groups in June, 1943, became a member of EG W-4. The ship was badly damaged in collision with the American SS Medina in the western Atlantic on July 21, 1943, while escorting convoy ON.192, and was under repair at Halifax and Shelburne until early October. She then returned to her duties with WLEF until September, 1944 (from April as a member of EG W-3), when she underwent a refit at Sydney and, on completion of this late in November, joined HMCS Cornwallis as a training ship for the balance of the war. The Pas never did receive an extended focsle. She was paid off on July 24, 1945, at Sorel and broken up at Hamilton the following year.